Reasons your dermatologist doesnt want you to smoke – Musing of a NYC Dermatologist
- Posted on: Mar 31 2011
Most people are aware of the many health hazards of smoking as they pertain to the heart, lungs and the increased risk of many types of cancer. Did you know, however, that smoking has several negative effects on the health and beauty of your skin? In case you needed some more reasons to avoid smoking, let me add a few to the list:
1. smoking impairs wound healing skin structures need oxygen, too. Smokers who have surgery may take longer to heal their wounds
2. fine lines around the mouth- the physical act of pursing your lips to smoke can create fine lines around the mouth that result in a more aged appearance
3. hair loss- a study of men in Asia with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss), a genetic condition, found that the hair loss was worse in men that smoked.
4. general aged appearance to the skin- twin studies have shown that smoking was equivalent to sun bathing in terms of some of the damage it does to the skin. Smokers tend to have a more leathered appearance with less sun exposure.
5. Smoking is associated with increased flares of genital warts and herpes.
6. Smoking is associated with increased flares of psoriasis.
Im certain there are other reasons your dermatologist wants you to avoid this smoking as the above list is hopefully compelling enough. To your health!