If you’ve had a chemical peel that doesn’t come with an aftercare kit, here are some general post peel instructions and recommendations for chemical peel aftercare products.
Getting a good outcome with a chemical peel depends not just on the performance of the peel but how the skin in cared for afterward. Although some peels, such as the Vi Peel®, come with post peel kits, most peels require that you assemble the products you will use on your own. Here are general guidelines for chemical peel aftercare as well as some product recommendations and affiliate links. This is not a substitute for advice from your doctor.
CHECK OUT an example of a quick and easy chemical peel aftercare regimen here:
Chemical peel after care instructions
- avoid direct sun, waxing, scrubbing, or picking at the skin
- don’t use products and medications such as retinoids, glycolic acid or salicylic acid for 1 week after
- avoid scrubs
- wash with a gentle cleanser twice daily
- use a moisturizer with sunscreen daily
- use a plain moisturizer at bedtime
- moisturize the face 2-4 times a day
- report any unexpected side effects to your doctor
- mild irritation can be treated with hydrocortisone twice daily for 1 week
Facial cleansers for chemical peel aftercare
A gentle cleanser is recommended for chemical peel aftercare. This would be one that has no medications in it and that is non-abrasive. Moisturizing cleansers are a plus. Here are some examples:
Moisturizers with sunscreen for chemical peel aftercare
It’s important to use a moisturizer with sunscreen daily after a chemical peel. Apply moisturizer with sunscreen multiple times during the day if you are peeling. Here are some products we recommend:
Aveeno Positively Radiant spf 30 – especially good to not create a filmy appearance on darker skin
Night time moisturizers for chemical peel after care
Use moisturizer without sunscreen at bedtime and throughout the day if you are inside away from large windows. Here are some products we recommend:
Aquaphor healing ointment – especially good after a modified Jessner’s peel
Learn about our chemical peels at Aglow Dermatology here
This posts contains affiliate links.